Client Case: A100
Creating Innovation Culture in Alberta, Canada
- The A100 is a non-profit organization formed by successful entrepreneurs in Alberta. Many of Alberta’s success stories come from this group, which is dedicated to helping Alberta’s next-gen entrepreneurs and innovative start-ups be globally successful.
- The forward thinking A100 is committed to generating a robust innovation ecosystem in Calgary, Edmonton, and across Alberta.
- Establish a strong conceptual awareness of Rainforest principles and tools within the Alberta business community and A100, then launch a Rainforest Master Plan (RaMP) to grow the Alberta innovation culture and support the goals of these organizations.
- Assess the current state of innovation in Alberta across six domains, using the Rainforest Scorecard: leadership; frameworks, infrastructure and policies; resources; activities and engagement; role models; and culture.
- Provide an initial framework for this first phase of work, and practical improvement initiatives that can commence immediately.
- Launch a culture change process in a way that will attract other stakeholders across Alberta.
PARTICIPANTS & PROCESS
- 58 participants gathered for the first “Rainforest Summit” in Banff, Alberta.
- With a focus on what innovation “is and isn’t”, participants engaged in discussions about untapped opportunities in the region, and barriers to developing them.
- An in-depth introduction to the Rainforest conceptual framework, and its relevancy to Alberta, was presented.
- Participants plotted individual Rainforest Scorecard results on a team Rainforest Radar, identifying strategic issues and improvement opportunities. Statistical analysis of the consolidated scores for each of the six assessment domains revealed strengths and weaknesses, cohesiveness and diversity.
- Facilitated breakout sessions were used to analyze strategic issues uncovered by the assessment and develop action plans to address them.
- Rainforest Principles: educational keynote address on innovation culture
- A “social contract” to capture participants’ intent and commitment to Alberta’s unique expression of the values that will generate a robust innovation ecosystem.
- Rainforest Scorecard short-form assessment and synthesis of the area’s innovation culture. Data was visualized using the Rainforest Radar and bar charts.
- Comprehensive event summary including the group’s Rainforest Scorecard assessment results.
- Initiatives were developed across the six domains of the Rainforest Scorecard.
- A strong social contract was conceived– which has subsequently been the centerpiece of meetings in the region to which regional stakeholders have attached their signature as a public declaration of alignment and commitment.
If you find this Client Case inspiring, please contact an RFS Partner about how to get the same kinds of products and outcomes for your organization.